Max the Resort Dog Remembered

Max the golden retriever relaxing

Max the golden retriever relaxingWhether he knew you or not, Max made each visitor feel like they were returning home, making him a dog remembered as we somberly carry on without him.

As you stepped out of the car after your journey to Northern Vermont, you were greeted by a large, welcoming, auburn Golden Retriever.  Max, the mascot of Sterling Ridge, was always in the office waiting for belly rubs or wandering the property looking for a loose hot dog. Max will forever be, a dog remembered.

Sterling Ridge has gone through many iterations since 1992.  After making the addition of cabins to Sterling Ridge Inn, the Petersons faced a dilemma. Should dogs be allowed on their owners’ vacations?  After all, Sterling Ridge had two Golden Retrievers at the time, Sunny and Sienna, whose litters of puppies came and went on the property with love and fun. Sunny, another auburn Golden, was Max’s great grandfather, another wonderful dog remembered. Eventually, Sterling Ridge did decide to become a dog friendly cabin resort – bringing more and more guests, and their faithful pups, to Sterling Ridge.

Nearly all of these pups enjoyed playing with Max.  As a dog remembered, we look back on Max’s greatest hits. Max would steal mittens and hats as children sledded down the hill by the office.  In summer, Max would have his daily soak in the little pond, reflecting on his beautiful landscape and his perfect life.  Not only would he steal mittens, hats, and full bags of marshmallows, but he also stole the hearts of dog lovers, non-dog lovers, and dogs who didn’t like other dogs… that is, until Max.  Nicknamed by one guest as Max the Zen Master, Max could charm any dog or human into being his best friend.

In the thousands of stories of Max, we can agree that he is a dog remembered fondly, and lovingly, from all our guests, to family, and staff.  Max, we will miss you endlessly.  We hope you’re having a beautiful run through the woods.

81 Comments

1. Wendy and Craig on January 25, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Beautiful tribute to a loved member of the family. ?? We’ll miss you Max

2. Aldo E Zelaya on January 25, 2018 at 8:29 pm

We really enjoyed having Max around during our stay. He guided my mom and sister in law all the way to the canoe site, and brought them back !!. He will be dearly missed.

3. Mike DiCerto on January 25, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Max was such a part of the joy of Sterling Ridge, our “Fantastic Place”. We will miss him greatly and be sure to give Rocky extra love and we do look forward to meeting the next Golden that will grace the magic lands of Sterling Ridge Resort.

4. Shelly lapierre on January 25, 2018 at 8:57 pm

What a beautiful dog ❤️

5. Fred & Heather Smart on January 26, 2018 at 9:15 am

On the four occasions that we stayed at the ‘Ridge’ with Suzy & Michael Max was always on the scene to welcome our return from our forays to the Vermont vineyards. It was a pleasure to make his acquaintance and he will be missed.

6. Jessica on January 26, 2018 at 1:14 pm

He was certainly a dog to remember for a lifetime. He will truly be missed. 🙁

7. Jessica on January 26, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Thanks Mike. We are all giving Rocky all of our love. Today he, Rocky, was just sitting on the porch staring out at Mansfield. It was almost as if he was lost and was waiting for Max to come home from his journeys around the resort. ?

8. Jessica on January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Thank you, it was easy to write as he was such an amazing and majestic boy.

9. Jamie Zielinski on January 26, 2018 at 4:13 pm

So sorry for your loss. I adored that guy.

10. Jane Beatty on January 26, 2018 at 6:20 pm

I will have to send you a picture i have of max showing Murphy Dog around the property. They became instant friends and enjoyed each others company. My heart goes out to you. Max had such an important position there at sterling ridge.. Xoxo

11. Michael DeFranco on January 26, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Our deepest condolences to all who new Max we feel your sorrow and sadness. Rest in peace.

12. Elizabeth on January 27, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Here’s to a great dog who helped make Sterling Ridge a welcoming and happy place! RIP Max…!

13. Mamata Thatte. on January 27, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Deepest condolences, Rest in peace! I know max and have shared some beautiful memories with him on all my visits to Sterling Ridge cabins.

14. Theresa & Bob V on January 27, 2018 at 4:20 pm

so very sorry about Max – he was such a beautiful dog –

15. Michael French on January 27, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Oh no, We are frequent customers and always enjoyed seeing Max at the office and at our cabin. He will be surely missed by our family.

Love, Mike and Stephanie

16. Tracy Moloney on January 27, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Max you were an amazing dog. For every quilt retreat I attended at Sterling Ridge you were my first priority upon arriving. Finding you and giving you a treat. Thank you for being the welcome a quilter could have. You will be missed but never forgotten.

17. Lauren on January 27, 2018 at 4:28 pm

We love you Max ! You will always be part of our fond memories at Sterling Ridge. Our thoughts are with you and your family…love The Clark Family

18. Debbie Villano-Boyle on January 27, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Max welcomed me while I was waiting for my hubby to check us in. We became instant friends. When my hubby returned to the car he jokingly told me that he informed the woman that checked him in, they might be missing a dog when we check out. He told the woman “my wife is sitting in the car making friends with the dog”. He was so happy and such a gracious fellow. I’ll see him again at the Rainbow Bridge. Rest in Peace Max.

19. Ken Stanford on January 27, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Max – thank you for making a difference in so many lives. Enjoy the rest from your labors my friend.

20. Karen Persichetti on January 27, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Sully & Lenny will miss seeIng their friend Max. He was always there to play and lead the way around the property. The Persichetti and Fay families send their condolences to you. ??

21. Shyanne Hill on January 27, 2018 at 4:39 pm

I recently just meet Max this January and was so in love with him. He was so sweet and so well behaved! He made staying at Sterling Ridge 10x Better. My deepest condolences in this time of great sadness. He will be missed. Rest In Peace to the sweetest dog, Max ❤️

22. Gail Babbitt on January 27, 2018 at 4:45 pm

We loved meeting Max over the Veterans Day Holiday. So sorry for your loss❤️?

23. Rob Stavins on January 27, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Thank you for letting us all know about Max’s passing. He was a wonderful companion — for us and for our own pooch, Rudy, during our several visits. Our best wishes are with you.

24. Akiko and Russell Maggio on January 27, 2018 at 4:48 pm

My wife and I met Max only a few times, but we quickly became friends.
    He’d greet us with a wagging tail and a hearty paw to shake, he was such a big sweet lug, and we will miss him.
    Our condolences to the Petersons and all who loved dear Max.

25. The mike family on January 27, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Sorry sorry to hear about Max. He was a wonderful dog. My kids and us loved Max as he had made a long lasting impression on our first visit to sterling ridge. He came and had dinner with us one night and the kids loved it. It was because of that trip, we decided to get a golden, because of Max. When asked what kind of dog they wanted, they always said “ a dog like Max”. We look forward to our next visits and the next golden to greet us when we arrive and we bring ours!

26. The Sukiennik family on January 27, 2018 at 4:50 pm

So sorry to hear this. Max was such a handsome golden and a gentle presence during our visit. We loved when he come to the office lobby to greet us and he certainly enjoyed a head rub.

27. Mocha Davis on January 27, 2018 at 4:55 pm

I very sad!!
    Max was my best friend in Vermont. He showed me all the best places to sniff and roll around and always made a city dog feel very welcome.
    I am going to miss him a lot on our next trip.

28. Tracy on January 27, 2018 at 4:59 pm

You sure will be missed Max. Happy I was able to meet you on my first visit there in November. Enjoy playing in the woods with Manly & Lady. ???

29. Gary Moore.Family & Friends on January 27, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Max was such as sweet dog. His friendly and welcoming demeanor added to the serenity and beauty of Sterling Ridge Resort. I’m sure he lived a great and fulfilled life. : – ) RIP Max.

30. Martinez Family on January 27, 2018 at 5:04 pm

What a great pup. We remember Max. He would actually be at the cabin when we would return from our trips around Vermont. He always had a smile on his face. He was always a great Souls. He will be missed. As I tell my children of this loss they are saddened because they would always look for max. To play with him and give him snacks. Which I know he enjoyed. We Love You Max??❤️❤️

31. Steve and Judy Rafferty on January 27, 2018 at 5:06 pm

We remember Max. What a beautiful dog he was. So friendly , greeted us every time we walked by. A pet is a member of the family and it is difficult to have to say good by to them. God Bless you all as you grieve the loss of Max.

32. Beth K on January 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm

So sad to hear of his passing. Such a good dog.

33. Erin and Jim on January 27, 2018 at 5:15 pm

When we got married at the Mansfield, Max was there celebrating with us and our family. He was such a beautiful boy! Sorry for your loss.
    Erin and Jim

34. Ashley McVickers on January 27, 2018 at 5:16 pm

We were able to enjoy Max for only a week in 2016, but he stole our hearts! Our deepest and most sincere condolences to all of you. He was a dear, sweet dog and will be missed. Losing a dog is beyond hard and we will be thinking of you guys.

35. Meghan Albright Diekmeyer on January 27, 2018 at 5:20 pm

A lovely tribute to a lovely dog. We looked forward to seeing him each time we stayed with you. Love to y’all and Rocky.

36. Pat on January 27, 2018 at 5:25 pm

With all our sympathy! We loved Max, as did our Newfie Bodhi. Max was all business makin sure all was as it should at Sterling Woods. Our animal friends never ever live long enough no matter how long they live. He will be missed by us,
    With our live and sympathy
    Pat and Jake Bassett

37. Michelle America on January 27, 2018 at 5:33 pm

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. Max was a dog like no other. He always made our stays so much more memorable with his visits to our cabins over the years… including a special visit during Christmas when he spent most of the day sleeping in the cabin with our dog while we celebrated the holiday.

You will forever be remembered and loved Max!

38. Kenneth Hart on January 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Omg so sorry to hear that was part of the whole experience my condolences see you later in the year Ken and Karen

39. Barbara and Gary Casaburri on January 27, 2018 at 5:40 pm

I very sadlyhave not had the the wonderful opportunity of meeting STERLING RIDGES’ DEAR MASCOT MAX, nor have I ever been to STERLING RIDGE, yet!! I have been receiving your Newsletter for quite some time now, and have mentioned to my husband how I would like to vacation at your place. I too have a Golden Retriever, her name is “Maggie.” And meeting your Max here today makes me want to visit STERLING RIDGE that much more!! I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept our sincerest condolences. I know “Max” will be missed in the hearts of all that had the pleasure of meeting him!! ???

40. Lori Hauthaway on January 27, 2018 at 5:48 pm

I am so very sorry for your lose. Max was such a sweet boy and we always looked forward to seeing him. He was definitely one of a kind

41. Kristen Thomson on January 27, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I’m sorry to hear this! Max was a lovely guy! I hope you will have another perfect resort dog to carry on his tradition!

42. Gail on January 27, 2018 at 6:15 pm

So sorry for your loss, he will leave a paw print on al our hearts❤️

43. Ann and Si Morrill on January 27, 2018 at 6:19 pm

The entire Morrill family is so sad. Max was a wonderful dog, he welcomed us with enthusiasm and delight; we’re so sorry he won’t be there to celebrate our sixteenth year returning to Sterling Ridge.

44. Linda & Peter Purins on January 27, 2018 at 6:31 pm

On all our visits to the Ridge, we always looked forward to seeing Max. He was a wonderful dog. Our deepest sympathies to all at the Ridge.

45. Joan Gavini-Campbell on January 27, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Rest in Peace Max, He made us and our dog Liberty feel welcome anytime we stayed with you. He will be missed, such a great dog !

46. J&K on January 27, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Max came to our cabin and played with our young, frisky golden retriever. Max walked down into the dry riverbed and dug out an old tennis ball and gave it to Moku.
    Max was truly the Zen Master of Sterling Ridge!

47. Kerry Checca on January 27, 2018 at 6:51 pm

He will be greatly missed. We always looked forward to seeing Max waiting at the door when we arrived to check in. RIP pup!

48. Rob Fehn on January 27, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Aww, my wife and I are so sorry for your loss. We both loved Max, we are headed up to stay in April and couldn’t wait to see him. He will be missed by us and all who loved him, may he rest in peace.

49. Leah Merritt-Mervine on January 27, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Max was there for our wedding and some of the best days of our lives. Ever watchful, ever there; an old soul. The Petersons gave him the best life a dog could have. We will miss you Max!

50. Jamie and Adam on January 27, 2018 at 7:31 pm

So sorry for your loss. We had the pleasure of meeting Max on our honeymoon this past November. Even in his golden years, he made a visit to our cabin to say hi to our golden retriever pup, Louie! Such a wonderful, friendly guy. We will miss you, Max!

51. Suzy DiCerto on January 27, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Max was a truly special boy. We talked about him to all our family and friends all year and looked forward to that wagging tail when we would return each year. We are lucky that he was part of our lives and will be missed dearly <3

52. Michael F on January 27, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Sorry for your loss. I haven’t had the pleasure of staying with you yet, or of meeting Max. I’m sure we would have become friends. I have many happy memories of the dogs that have been a part of my life through the years.

53. Cedar Pruitt on January 27, 2018 at 8:08 pm

We have a picture of our entire family surrounding Max hanging in our dining room. He’s been a dear part of our summer explorations of Vermont for 14 years. Thank you, Max, for your unwavering good nature and VERY warm welcomes. I still remember him nosing right into our cabin on our honeymoon!! Eventually our children came to love him and know him.

54. Sue and Russ Clark on January 27, 2018 at 8:08 pm

We were just giving our dog Molly a burger for her 7th birthday. We started talking about other dogs we’ve met that we really enjoyed being around. I mentioned Max. I just finished talking and checked my phone and saw the bad news. We stayed at Sterling Ridge in September of 2013. We really enjoyed it and Max was a very youthful 10 years old. He was a wonderful dog. He helped us when we were missing our dog. Very sorry for your loss. He had a wonderful life with freedom to run.

55. Jane Tuohey on January 27, 2018 at 8:27 pm

We loved Max too. We spent a weekend and he was a faithful companion. I felt he sensed we missed our own dogs. There was no time for that as Max kept us company. He made sure to comfort us during meal time, an especially difficult time for pet owners : ) He was a sweet boy and will leave a hole in many hearts ❤

56. Trisha judge and Steve powley on January 27, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Seeing Max upon arrival was something we looked forward to at every visit. On our visit in December, 2017Max took a walk with us and our dog Finnegan around the entire pond. It was a long walk but Max was determined to do it. When one of the hosts drove by and tried to give him a ride back to the office, he wanted to stay with us until the end of the walk. He was a beautiful and remarkable dog. I have tears in my eyes as I write this note. Love ya Max

57. Kathy & Heather Gray on January 27, 2018 at 9:40 pm

We always looked forward to Max greeting us when arrived. Our Cinnamon & Honey just loved Max. He will be sorely missed , It won’t be the same without him to greet us when we arrive. A truly great dog.

58. Cathy Kuhlman on January 27, 2018 at 11:40 pm

We enjoyed Max joining us on the porch while we sat and rubbed his belly. I have a few pictures of Max from several of our trips to VT. Having left our two goldens in FL , he made us feel right at home. He has joined our Bailey at the rainbow bridge. We are so sorry for your loss. Max was a special dog. ?

59. West and Jane Hall Maine on January 28, 2018 at 12:10 am

We loved Max so very much! Our Golden Lake would seek him out on every visit. He is always in our hearts and hope you will honor his memory with another Golden to love and help Rocky carry on the tradition ❤️❤️❤️❤️

60. West and Jane Hall of Maine on January 28, 2018 at 12:20 am

61. Kaitlyn on January 28, 2018 at 2:50 am

We only went there one time but I remember Max and his welcoming nature. He enjoyed those belly rubs…what a great soul…

62. Larry, Melissa and the Simpson Family on January 28, 2018 at 6:27 am

As owners of Goldens we know well what sweet dogs like Max are. In all of our visits Max seemed to sense we were missing our dogs. So much so he would sit with us by our fire, played with our peke, Janie, and even went on a walk with us up the mountain. He was a dear sweet boy that we know is in heaven and has met up with our “Jolly” who crossed over the rainbow bridge in October.

63. Ann and Michael Morrison on January 28, 2018 at 7:23 am

We adored being greeted by big, fluffy and lovable Max. It felt like he was waiting for us to finally arrive. For one of our visits, Max was near the pond but came lumbering up when he saw us. After we gave him his much deserved petting and attention, he went back to what he was doing. A very special guy, indeed. RIP sweet boy.

64. Fabio on January 28, 2018 at 8:33 am

So sorry to hear that. He was a beautiful dog, he’ll be truly missed. 🙁

65. Brian and Margaret Ellison on January 28, 2018 at 10:06 am

We and our 2 Boston Terriers always looked forward to being greeted by and playing with Max. He truly was The Zen Master as he coaxed one of my Boston’s who hated water into the pond just so he could enjoy Max’s company. He truly represented the friendliness and welcoming atmosphere of Sterling Ridge and when we come again we will be sad not to see his face and his welcoming spirit. But rest assured he has crossed the bridge to eternal happiness and endless runs in the great beyond. Please accept our condolences for your loss, but, remember he will live in the hearts and memories of everyone who met him and enjoyed his company. Thanks again Max, you are truly one of a kind. Enjoy your run in the great beyond.

66. Rick Schoon on January 28, 2018 at 10:13 am

Scott, Susan and Kevin, we are truly sorry for the loss of Max. He was a great companion and our lab Roscoe really enjoyed playing with him during our stays. we’ll miss him.

Pat and Rick

67. Jill, Chris, & Miles Desrosiers on January 28, 2018 at 11:47 am

Love you Max!! You made our stay so comfy and inviting. Our son adored his company the whole trip, Max would be the sunshine we woke up too. A beautiful gentle soul. Max you will be forever missed ❤️?R.I.P.
    Love The Desrosiers Family

68. David and Susan Smet on January 28, 2018 at 12:19 pm

We’re sorry to hear about Max we enjoyed him as a (dinner guest)on our stay at the resort. He always had impeccable manners.

Dave and Susan Smet

69. Dennis & Chris Devine Pa. on January 28, 2018 at 12:22 pm

When we come up this year, we will miss his morning visits to our cabin, that helped us deal with our own guilt for leaving our own Lab at home. He was a special dog, Sorry for your loss. Den & Chris Devine.

70. Robert & Mary Tyler on January 28, 2018 at 2:08 pm

We know how your heart is hurting. Max was the most loving, gentle, and sweet soul. He was loved by our entire Family and will miss him on our future visits. We want to say to his Forever Family, Max was able to love everyone because you raised him with so much love. We thank you for that! I trust all the comments and photos of Max gives you some comfort. Praying for your Family and all the Staff that loved him too. RIP Max.

71. Mike and Mindy valent on January 28, 2018 at 2:22 pm

So sorry my wife son and I loved max he was so friendly. He followed my son all over the property. I have several pics of max and my wife does as well. He will be missed.

72. Rose & Randy Neville on January 28, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Thank you for sharing this news with us, as sad as it is. Those who have fur babies know the heartache that losing a pet, a member of the family, brings. We visited Sterling Ridge in March 2016 and had the great fortune of meeting Max in the office area…what a sweet, gentle soul. Our black Lab, Rogie, and Max hit it off as good tempered dogs generally do. We have often said we want to make the trek to your resort again, such a peaceful place. Sadly, Max will not be there to greet us. Thinking of you during this difficult time. Remember the many happy memories with Max and the joy he brought to so many lives.

73. Neeraj Pawa on January 28, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Max will be missed on our next trip! Rest In Peace, beautiful boy.
    The Pawa Family

74. Donna, Jon, Alyssa, Bryan and Celeste Matte on January 28, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Max was as majestic as his surroundings at Sterling Ridge and Mount Mansfield in the distance! To see him trotting up the path or taking a dip in the pond, sprawled out on the floor of the office for an afternoon siesta (he worked hard everyday) , or barking and chasing after a delivery truck was always a treat. We never vacationed with our Golden, Bella, so Max filled the void for us during our summer vacations for 10+ years at Sterling Ridge. Whether he followed us to our cabin, chased after the sticks and balls our kids threw to him, cooled himself in the hole he dug under the bushes near the pool while we swam during the heat of summer, or watched intently to see which members of the family would be champions at corn hole, Max did so because he wanted to make everyone feel right at home, welcomed and loved. And he did so, beautifully! We share deeply in your loss as this past November, our Bella of 13+ years passed as well. Max will forever be in our hearts and memories and thank you for sharing him with us during our stays at Sterling Ridge. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and the staff. XOXO, The Matte family

75. Sedlacek Family on January 28, 2018 at 6:55 pm

On our first visit, Max walked us to our cabin and hung around until we were settled in. Later he came by for a visit. We loved to see him each year and we will miss him.

76. Patricia Paice on January 29, 2018 at 6:37 am

Peace to you all and thank you for sharing the wonderful Max !! Max will be missed but I am sure his beautiful spirit and soul will forever be running from cabin to cabin helping all to settle in with comfort, warmth and love…..

77. Jim and Lisa Green on January 29, 2018 at 7:03 am

Such beautiful dog that will be missed dearly by everyone. Our hearts go out to you- R. I. P, Max….

78. The Folsoms on January 29, 2018 at 8:19 am

Rest Easy Max! Always looked forward to you greeting us from a long trip………..

79. Marissa on January 29, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Rest in the Sweetest Peace Max! He was such a beautiful, friendly Golden Retriever. My boyfriend and I always loved seeing him running around the resort and greeting everyone. Our first trip there he came up to our cabin and sat by our fire with us. Our hearts go out to Everyone who knew Him! ?

80. Dennis & Shelley Kerr on January 29, 2018 at 5:27 pm

yes, we too remember Max.
    RIP old friend.

81. Denise & Don Fuller on January 29, 2018 at 8:11 pm

It was our first visit to Sterling Ridge in October. One of my favorite memories was the greeting we got when we came into the office to check-in. Max greeted us with his tail wagging and just waited to be patted. Thanks Max!! 🙂 I hope it was sunny and warm when you crossed over rainbow bridge.

82. Rick and Donna Walter on February 6, 2018 at 11:49 pm

We remember Max well. He and our golden, Tasha,had a great time playing together. Sadly , we lost Tasha this summer so we understand the loss you are feeling. But fate has brought her niece into our lives. Tasha’s 11 1/2 year old brother sired a litter of 4 puppies. Sadie is working her way into the empty space in our hearts. I imagine Tasha and Max playing in a special place together for all times. Our hearts go out to you.

83. Lisa and Harry Reddan on September 10, 2018 at 10:19 am

Our entire family loved Max so much, including our very own golden retriever, Brownie. They would be best buddies on all of our visits. Many times on our visits, he stayed with us for our entire time there, sometimes, with his owners having to come search for him or we would walk him back down. He would playfully tap us with his giant paws to get us to pet him some more. and I always brought extra dog food with us…..knowing Max would be getting some each day! I have a beautiful picture of my dog and Max frolicking through the fields and looking like the most peaceful buddies ever. We are truly saddened by this loss and know that it won’t be the same visit without him. So sorry once again……but so grateful to have known Max and for him to be part of our lives.